Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Challenges in classification

In Sorting Things Out, the author pointed out that 'No real-world working classification system that we have looked at meets these "simple" requirements...' That would strike me 2 weeks ago when I was working on my project where I need to seek for a perfect ontology for Engineering Education, but not now. I realized that I cannot classify ENE in such a way that it meets any of the three properties mentioned in this book. Instead, a quasi-perfect classification should be constructed so robustly that it well supports including, excluding, transiting of elements. Uncertainty and emergence of new elements keep deviating a real-world classification from Bowker's ideal model.

I have similar question with Sensen after reading Perry's Model. In my opinion, this verbalized Positions are far from standing as a classification. But maybe I am wrong because I used my quantitative head to make this judgment. Still, I am very interested in how this model can be applied to put students into positions correctly.

Thanks, Junaid, for sharing the 6-level learning in group discussion two weeks ago. So it's not a new concept to me any more. Also, I saw a few figures from Kolb Model somewhere before, but this article elaborates in greater depth which inspires me with the following question: while teaching in multi-disciplines can benefit from this model, would it also overstate the inter-discipline differences so that this preconceived guidance hinders the diversity and innovativity of both teaching and learning?

0 comments: