Monday, October 26, 2009

When I read the first several pages of “An anthropologist visits the laboratory”, I was surprised to see that the author can spend 60 pages on describing a laboratory like this. And I thought the author is very stupid describing the laboratory as he knows nothing about laboratory and research. However, when I reached about 10 pages later, I thought he is very good at observing and summarizing the operation of the laboratory. And finally, I found that he did an amazing job in this article, from both insider and outsider’s point of view. He described the physical design, background knowledge, publication, and statement issues in every detail. What he described is known by the members or insiders, but is ignored by them. Also what he described is clear to outsiders and can help them know about how a laboratory works. Now I understand how and why he can spend 60 pages on laboratory observation.
blog comments powered by Disqus